In some cultures, having sex during pregnancy is forbidden. However, medically, there is no harm in making love during pregnancy especially when there are no complications associated with the pregnancy. Many will opt not to have sex during pregnancy due to self consciousness and the thought of making love in the presence of their unborn children.
Many will have different reasons to justify why it is not right. But, during pregnancy couples need to know that it is perfectly alright and the following are top things to be kept in mind.
1. No harm can come to the baby through sex because the baby is protected by amniotic fluid as well as a wall of mucus that seals the cervix to keep away all possible infections. However, it is important for those with difficult pregnancies to check with their doctor for advice.
2. During pregnancy, women will have elevated libido. However, this will vary from woman to woman. In the first trimester, the sex drive will be low due to nausea caused by morning sickness as well as affected mood due to hormonal changes. During the second trimester, many women have the highest sex drive.
3. Men have the power to change the mood of women during pregnancy. Understanding and love will show caring and women will be more responsive. Therefore, regarding sex, avoiding simple conflict will help during this time.
4. Although some men will not want to have sex with pregnant women, many men will find their pregnant partners pretty attractive. Men have to rise to the occasion for success. Talking to a doctor about it will shed light.
5. Sex positions during pregnancy can make all the difference. There are good resources available online that can guide on positions that will not cause discomfort to women.
6. Sex has the power to induce labour and many times, women who are late on delivery can be advised to have sex. Having said this, it is important to follow your heart during pregnancy and do what you feel right to suit you and your partner. Making love after all is more than sex.